Department of Horticulture
125 Horticulture Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-1100
- Doctor of Philosophy, Colorado State University, 1984
- Master of Science, University of Maryland, 1981
- Bachelor of Science, University of Delaware, 1978
- Golden Cleat Award, Awarded by the Iowa Sports Turf Association for educational programming, 2002
- College Football Field of the Year Award, Co-award received with Mike Andresen from the Sports Turf Managers Association , 1996
- Sports Turf Managers Association Excellence in Research Award, Awarded by the Sports Turf Managers Association, 1995
Dr. Minner's turfgrass research includes; (1) producing safe, durable and attractive athletic fields, (2) improving the winter survival of golf course grass systems, and (3) developing strategies that maximize turfgrass performance and minimize environmental impact.
Minner's teaching responsibilities are Sports Turf Management (Hort 453); Turf and Landscape Irrigation (Hort 454); and Pesticide Certification (Hort 283). Dr. Minner serves as Undergraduate and Graduate advisor in Horticulture.
As extension specialist Dr. Minner implements demonstration and educational programs to assist the commercial turfgrass industry of Iowa including; golf courses, parks, lawn service companies, athletic fields, and roadways. He is the liaison between Iowa State University and the Iowa Turfgrass Association, Iowa Golf Course Superintendents Association, Iowa Sports Turf Managers Association, and Iowa Professional Lawn Care Assoc.
- Iowa Turfgrass Institute, Board of Directors (1995 to current)
- Sports Turf Managers Association Board of Directors, 2004 to current
- Information Outreach Committee, Chairman 2004 to current
- Conference Education Program Committee, Chairman 2004 to current
- Certification Committee member, 1999-current.
- Minner, D.D. and J.S. Hudson. 2005. Evaluating a reinforced natural grass/sythetic turf system. International Turfgrass Society Research Journal. 10:398-408.
- Minner, D.D. and F.J. Valverde. 2005. The effect of traffic intensity and periodicty on Poa pratensis L. performance. International Turfgrass Society Research Journal. 10:387-392.
- Minner, D.D. A Generic Football Field Maintenance Program. [PDF]
- Minner, D.D. How much field area does your core cultivation program actually impact? [PDF]
- Minner, D.D. Athletic field evaluation and traffic survey [PDF]
- Athletic field renovation and construction costs [PDF]
- Andresen, M. and D.D. Minner Pre-germinated seed mix for repairing athletic field divots [PDF]
- Minner, D.D. and M. Shour School IPM maintenance schedule [PDF]
- Iowa Turfgrass Research Report http://www.hort.iastate.edu/sites/default/files/imported/turfgrass/pubs/turfrpt/2005/index.html [PDF]
- Minner, D.D. If you can't take the heat - synthetic turf. SportsTurf Magazine 2004 http://www.greenmediaonline.com/uploads/st/features/0411%5Fqa.asp
- Minner, D.D. Traffic survey update. SportsTurf Magazine http://www.greenmediaonline.com/st/2004/0407/0407qa.asp
- Minner, D.D. and E. Everhart. Understanding Thatch in the Home Lawn. 1998. Iowa State University Horticulture Guide Pm-1755, 4 pages.
- Cockerham, S.T. and D.D.Minner. 1999. Turfgrass nutrition and fertility. In "International Turf Management Handbook". Ed. D.E. Aldous, Chapter 8, p 139-158 Butterworth-Heinemann, London (ISBN: 0 7506 8954 4)