Professor and Chair
Department of Horticulture
106 Horticulture Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-1100
- Doctor of Philosophy, Iowa State University, 1993
- Master of Science, Penn State University, 1985
- Bachelor of Science, Michigan State University, 1977
- Iowa Nursery & Landscape Association Honorary Lifetime Member, 2004
- ASHS Extension Educational Aids Award, 2002
- Iowa State Horticultural Society Award of Merit, 2001
- Society of Municipal Arborists Award of Merit, 2000
- ASHS Extension Educational Aids Award, 2000
- Iowa Nursery & Landscape Association Merit Award, 2000
- ISU Foundation Award for Early Achievement in Extension, 1997
- ASHS Extension Educational Aids Award, 1995
- ISU Extension New Professional Award, 1992
- Iowa Nursery & Landscape Association Merit Award, 1992
Dr. Iles has an integrated research/Extension program that identifies problems and issues relevant to Iowa's nursery (retail and production), landscape installation/maintenance, and tree care industries, and provides solutions, technical support, and science-based information to these increasingly important components of agriculture in Iowa.
Dr. Ileis' teaching responsibilities include: Woody Plant Cultivars: Shade Trees (HORT 341); Landscape Plant Establishment & Maintenance (HORT 342); Horticulture Management & Administration (HORT 445); and Horticulture Teaching Practicum (HORT 698). He also is a frequent participant in the Horticulture Travel Course (HORT 496). Dr. Iles advises undergraduate and graduate students, and is a co-adviser to the ISU Horticulture Club.
- Widrlechner, M.P., J.R. Thompson, J.K. Iles, and P.M. Dixon. 2004. Models for predicting the risk of naturalization of non-native woody plants in Iowa. J. Environ. Hort. 22(1):23-31.
- Iles, J.K. and A.M. Vold. 2003. Landscape tree cultivar preferences in Iowa. U.S. J. Arboric. 29(6):331-336.
- Romer, J.P., J.K. Iles, and C.L. Haynes. 2003. Selection preferences for crabapple cultivars and species. HortTechnology 13(3):522-526.
- Iles, J.K. 2003. The science and practice of stress reduction in managed landscapes. ISHS Acta Horticulturae 618: XXVI International Horticultural Congress: Environmental Stress and Horticulture Crops.
- Widrlechner, M.P. and J.K. Iles. 2002. A geographic assessment of the risk of naturalization of non-native woody plants in Iowa. J. Environ. Hort. 20(1):47-56.
- Dosmann, M.S., J.K. Iles, and M.P. Widrlechner. 2000. Stratification and light improve germination of katsura tree seed. HortTechnology 10(3):571-573.
- Iles, J.K. and M.S. Dosmann. 1999. Effect of organic and mineral mulches on soil properties and growth of Fairview Flame® red maple trees. J. Arboric 25(3):163-167.
- Dosmann, M.S., J.K. Iles, and W.R. Graves. 1999. Drought avoidance in katsura by drought-induced leaf abscission and rapid refoliation. HortScience 34(5):871-874.
- les, J.K., W.R. Graves, A.S. Aiello, C.L. Haynes, and K.E. Stone. 1998. Midwestern retail garden centers identify satisfaction/dissatisfaction with supplying wholesale nurseries. J. Environ. Hort. 16(4):243-247.