Department of Horticulture
131 Horticulture Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-1100
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Georgia, 1996
- Master of Science, University of Georgia, 1991
- Bachelor of Science, Louisiana Tech University, 1988
Dr. Haynes conducts research primarily in horticultural pedagogy and human issues in horticulture. She has published research on youth programming at a public garden and perceptions of volunteers at a public garden. Currently she is surveying parents of children participating in the Growing in the Garden program created for K-3 children. Other research projects include: the perceptions/expectations of students from a study abroad course in horticulture and surveying the businesses in horticulture to determine the value of the ornamental horticulture industry in Iowa.
Dr. Haynes' teaching responsibilities are Home Horticulture (Hort 121); Herbaceous Ornamentals (Hort 330), and Educating Youth Through Horticulture (Hort/AgEdS 282). She also periodically teaches International Travel in Horticulture (Hort 496). Dr. Haynes serves as undergraduate advisor for the Public Garden Management option in Horticulture.
Dr. Haynes has outreach responsibilities in consumer/urban horticulture. She coordinates the Herbaceous Perennial Saturday symposium, the ISU Home Demonstration Gardens Field Days, and a website called Yard and Garden Online (www.yardandgarden.extension.iastate.edu) to educate diverse audiences about plants and gardening practices. Recently, Dr. Haynes helped plan and regularly contributes to Gardening in the Zone videos for television produced by Iowa State University Extension and Iowa Gardening magazine. Dr. Haynes recently became Professor-in-charge of the Iowa Master Gardener Program.
- Haynes, C. and J. Pieper. 2005. A comparison of pre-visits for youth field trips to public gardens. HortTechnology 15(3):458-462.
- Hilgers, K.R., C. L. Haynes, and W. R. Graves. 2004. Chemical Height Control of Containerized Kosteletzkya virginica. HortTechnology 15(2):330-332.
- VanDerZanden, A. M. and C. L. Haynes. 2004. A Collaborative Effort between Iowa State University Extension and Mass Media Outlets. Journal of Extension 42(6) www.joe.org/joe/2004/december/iw1.shtml.
- Haynes, C. and S. Gross. 2004. Evaluating the educational impact of pre- and post-visit activities on elementary students following a field trip to a university garden. Acta Horticulturae 639:325-328.
- Haynes, C. and C.J. Trexler. 2003. The perceptions and needs of volunteers at a university-affiliated public garden. HortTechnology 13(3):552-556.
- Romer, J., J. Iles, and C. Haynes. 2003. Selection preferences for crabapple cultivars and species. HortTechnology 13(3):522-526.
- Trexler, C.J., Davis, L., and C. Haynes. 2003. Helping future educators learn to teach through horticulture: A case study of an experimental interdisciplinary course. NACTA Journal 47(4):43-50.
- J.K. Iles, W.R. Graves, A.S. Aiello, C.L. Haynes, and K.E. Stone. 1998. Midwestern Retail Garden Centers Identify Satisfaction and Dissatisfaction with Supplying Wholesale Nurseries. Journal of Environmental Horticulture 16(4):243-247.
- Haynes, C.L., and W.R. Graves. 2004. Kosteletzkya virginica can be propagated from stem cuttings. Journal of Environmental Horticulture 22(4):173-175.